Can Naturopathic Doctors help me ween off of my medications?
If you’ve read the through some of the other mental health pages, you’ve probably noticed some trends when it comes to psychiatric medications:
- They can be helpful tools for some people - especially in in the short term, and for acute situations.
- However, they often fail to treat the root cause
- They produce serious side effects, some which are intolerable and disabling
- Medications change the way our brains function
- Many can worsen long term outcomes
* While coming off of medications may be a goal for some people,
it is always important to discuss this with your health care provider (preferably, the one who prescribed the meds). *
* Coming off psychiatric medications quickly, and without proper support can lead to harsh side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Doing this can be hard on your body and brain function and can put you at risk for problems long term. *
* It's important to start low and go slow and only once you have tools & support in place! *
Since Naturopathic Doctors cannot prescribe these medications, we can only inform and educate you about the drugs as a whole, discuss alternatives and integrative treatments, and support you if you should you chose to come off of them.
Dr. Nelson will support your right to advocate for your health and chose treatments that align with your beliefs and goals. Safety and long term well being are always the priority.
She will work alongside your other health care providers, and will work in an integrative way with medications if coming off of them is not a good option.
If you are choosing to come off of medications, it is important to seek support.
Dr. Nelson can help you:
Naturopathic Doctors are also trained to understand drug-nutrient interactions, and will only advise things that will be safe and effective.
If you’d like to learn more about coming off of medications, please book a free consult for some general information.